Gardening is a common way to unwind and spend time in peace. Unfortunately, with people’s hectic schedules, getting time away to tend to your garden can be difficult. With that in mind, here are some ways to give some attention to your garden.
Have a Watering Schedule
- To keep the beds moist, grow your plants in lightweight planter troughs from companies like PolyStone Planters. Only water the flowering beds once or twice a week.
- The best time to water your plants is before you leave for work in the morning or at night when you get home. The cool soil allows less evaporation compared to when you water in the peak of the heat.
- Avoid the leaves to prevent the formation of mold.
- Use a watering can to avoid damaging the plant. Gentleness is the key.
Practice Lawn Care
- Watering the lawn is best in the early morning. Set up a simple watering system with computerized controls to automate this step. Watering the lawn will require 3 to 4 gallons of water per 10 square feet.
- Protecting your lawn from the blazing heat is essential. Above 80 °F can prevent your garden from flourishing. When the temperature is high, allow the grass to grow longer than usual. Avoid mowing it too short. The additional length will stand as protection from the sun.
Tend to the Weeds
- The simplest way to prevent weed development is to minimize the space between plants. Pack planters tightly so that there’s no available space for the growth of weeds.
- Mulch can also be utilized to stunt weeds from growing early on.
- When weeds have already appeared, it’s essential to remove them from the root. Cutting weeds is a waste of time. It’s best to set aside time for a quick check each week to prevent the weeds from taking over.
Follow these tips to make sure that your garden is healthy. It’s not easy to tend to your garden, but it can be enjoyable when you break it down to smaller tasks. Good luck!